|Inventory Number:||A 2115|
|Section Number:||ΣΑ 1898|
|Description:||Mended from many fragments.|
A shallow basin cut in one piece with a shaft square in section tapering toward the top. Weather traces show that the shaft had been set down ca. 0.07m. in its (missing) base.
The corners were probably slightly chamfered. Low down on one face are, roughly incised, an oval above six horizontal bars.
The faces finished with toothed chisel.
In the basin is a light water deposit, which at one point runs over the broken rim. The bottom of the basin is worn smooth, presumably from original use. All faces of the monument have been much worn by traffic after the monument was removed from its base. The stump of a similar monument, slightly larger in section, stands in situ at the N.W. corner of the Civic Offices. The present monument presumably stood in a corresponding position at the S.E. entrance to the main square of the Agora.
|Keyword:||cleaning Oct. 2012|
|Context:||From foundation of "Valerian Wall" at south end of Stoa of Attalos, along with S 1464 (ΣΑ 1314) and A 1661 (ΣΑ 1315).|
|Dimensions:||H. 1.095; W. (at bottom) 0.32, (at top) 0.39|
|Date:||28 June 1950|
|Bibliography:||Museum Guide (2014), p. 23, fig. 7.|
|Ginouvès (1962), p. 307.|
|Hesperia 22 (1953), p. 47, n. 32.|
|Agora XIV, p. 118, pl. 64 c.|
|References:||Publication: Agora XIV|
Publication: Hesperia 22 (1953)
Publication: Museum Guide (2014)
Card: A 2115
Card: A 2115