Agora Object: A 2277
Inventory Number:   A 2277
Section Number:   ΚΤΛ 331
Title:   Triglyph Fragment with Mason's Mark
Category:   Architecture Marble
Description:   Reused as millstone (or as olive press weight, see Expedition 21), but in excellent preservation.
On top, mason's mark, the letters: Σ Δ. On either side at bottom a dowel cutting and pry cutting.
From Temple of Ares.
Pentelic marble.
Keyword:   Elwira Janus
Notes:   Found at J/10-8/4 (Fall 2016).
Context:   Found February 1953, in the excavations of the Greek Archaeological Service at the corner of Nike and Apollo Streets. First transferred to the mosque near the Market of Caesar and Augustus, and later (spring 1953) to the Agora Excavations.
Negatives:   Leica, LIX-47, 81-84
PD Number:   PD 776, PD 963
Dimensions:   H. 0.83; W. 0.60; Th. 0.72
Material:   Marble (Pentelic)
Date:   February 1953
Section:   ΚΤΛ
Bibliography:   Expedition 21 (1978), p. 43, figs 10, 11.
    Travlos (1971), fig. 145.
    Hesperia 28 (1959), pp. 18, 19, 20, 49, 51, 55, figs. 9, 10, pl. 4 b.
    Agora XIV, p. 162, pl. 81 b.
References:   Publication: Agora XIV
Publication: Hesperia 28 (1959)
Monument: Temple of Ares
Plans and Drawings (4)
Images (6)
Card: A 2277