|Inventory Number:||A 3008|
|Section Number:||Ι 1676|
|Title:||Column Drum: Doric|
|Description:||One drum only, viz. third from top, with the letter Δ on under side. Top drum exists but has no letters.|
Apparently from the late 5th c. B.C., but reused in the Roman period before being employed in the Late Roman Fortification Wall. At the time of this earlier reuse the fluting seems to have been cut for the first time and many of the contact surfaces were roughly reworked.
Milky white, strongly laminated marble.
One of a series of four column shafts (A 3009 - A 3011) accompanied by two capitals (A 2987 and A 2988) incorporated in the Late Roman Fortification Wall.
|Notes:||Found at Q/10-14/3 (Fall 2016).|
|Context:||Late Roman Fortification, at S.W. corner of Library of Pantainos. Cf. A 3008.|
|Notebook Page:||3400, 3293|
|PD Number:||PD 1284|
|Dimensions:||H. 0.74; Diam. (upper) 0.825, (lower) 0.856|
|Chronology:||5th c. B.C.|
|Date:||1 September 1959|
|Bibliography:||Hesperia 51 (1982), p. 446, fig. 24, no. E 1.|
|References:||Publication: Hesperia 51 (1982)|
Plans and Drawings (7)
Image: 1997.15.0031 (83-688)
Card: A 3008