Agora Report: 1937 ΛΛ
Title:   Section ΛΛ 1937 Excavation Summary
Author:   Dorothy Burr Thompson
Abstract:   Excavations in Section ΛΛ revealed that the original contour of Kolonos Agoraios had been much sharper than in modern times. No traces of early graves were found in the area; first sign of habitation is pottery from the last half of the 5th century B.C. found in metal working pits in connection with a drain and a road. The best preserved material belongs to the 4th century B.C. The area was probably covered with houses of which five establishments were well preserved, several others less preserved.
In the early 3rd century the easternmost houses went out of use to leave space for the Hellenistic Building.
In the early Roman period a filling of large sherds covered most of the area, probably due to the general building activity of that period. In section ΛΛ, a great stair was constructed.
In the late 4th century A.D. the area suffered much damage.
In the Byzantine period blocks of houses were set over the whole area, and this settlement, when combined with those of ΜΜ and ΚΚ, present interesting material for the study of medieval Athens.
Date:   1 Feb-23 Jun 1937
Section:   ΛΛ
Keyword:   Checked
PDF:   1937 ΛΛ.pdf
References:   Report Pages (10)
Notebooks (10)
Notebook Pages (856)