Agora Report: 1937 Χ
Collection:   Agora
Type:   Report
Name:   1937 Χ
Title:   Section Χ 1937
Author:   Margaret Crosby
Abstract:   The area signified as Section Χ lays outside the Agora proper and no signs of any public buildings were found. The area seems to have been used for private houses from the end of the 6th c. B.C. Apart from few scattered sherd from the Geometric period, the earliest remains indicating habitation were two graves of the late 6th or early 5th c. B.C. Close by the graves was a garbage pit from about 480 B.C., one well from ca. 420 B.C, and another well from ca. 375 B.C.
No traces of walls of the Hellenistic period had survived but two wells and four cisterns show the existence of private houses in the area during this period.
A house of the Roman period was revealed in the central region of the section. A late Roman well was partly excavated.
All traces of post classical habitation had been destroyed by the Turkish and modern houses, except for a Byzantine well.
Date:   25 Jan-18 May 1937
Section:   Χ
Keyword:   Checked
PDF:   1937 Χ.pdf
References:   Report Pages (9)
Objects (40)
Deposits (13)
Notebooks (6)
Notebook Pages (517)