Agora Report: 1938 Ω
Collection:   Agora
Type:   Report
Name:   1938 Ω
Title:   Section Ω 1938
Author:   M. Crosby
Abstract:   Section Ω lies in the east end of the north slope of the Areopagus, well to the southeast of the market square proper. Excavation showed, as expected, that the area was a residential district throughout antiquity.
A few sherds of prehistoric date was found but there were no definite sign of habitation before the end of the 6th century B.C. By that time however, there was a street running diagonally up through the section, and remains of buildings, wells, cisterns, etc. from that period and onwards were found. Not until the end of the 4th or early 5th century A.D. are there any traces of buildings other than private houses. Part of the area was covered by a mass of destruction debris from the 7th or 8th century A.D., and it was probably not built up in Byzantine times; the Turkish and modern houses rested directly on the late Roman fill at the north and southeast, on Classical and Hellenistic in the center, and on bedrock in the southwest.
Date:   16 Jan-17 Jun 1938
Section:   Ω
PDF:   1938 Ω.pdf
References:   Report Pages (19)
Objects (11)
Deposits (17)
Notebooks (9)
Notebook Pages (814)